Followers


The Website

Thursday, February 12, 2009

All Hail to Cream Cheese....

Can we all agree that cream cheese frosting very well could be the greatest combination of ingredients of all time? As you know there are many different recipes out there- I am sure all are to some degree on the high end of the scale of deliciousness. But this is the one I have come to know and love. The reasons you ask? It only has 4 ingredients, is super easy and tastes like what I remember kissing felt like in my pre-marraige days. Can we also agree that kissing has lost some of it's luster since? Anyway- back to the frosting... this is a continuation of yesterday's post....

8 oz cream cheese- this doesn't have to be softened it just works a bit better if it is.
5 T salted butter- this does need to be softened
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups sifted after measured powdered sugar. - now when I say sifted I mean sifted if you have the time and energy and a clean sifter- of which I have never had any of the 3 so far- so sifting is not do or die for this fluffy goodness

What is do or die is mixing time. There is something about cream cheese frosting ingredients, I don't know what it is but I suspect it is in the chemistry of the conglomeration - that if you mix it too long the frosting will turn into a runny mess. Not that it is still not yummy...but you won't get the stiff fluffy frosting you desire.- so stop as soon as it is all mixed.

P.S. Sometimes I add heavy cream to this if I want it to be extra delicious- my secret to my cinnamon roll frosting, secret no more of course.

P.P.S. if you want to make unbelievable frosting for cinnamon rolls add some cinnamon to the frosting- I ate a whole cup of the stuff with my index finger last week and I never was happier (or sadder when I got on the scale the next morning) Thank goodness for the old treadmill...

P.P.P.S Now remember - this frosting doesn't harden or get dried out because it contains real butter- not shortening like those old pink packaged sugar cookies. So if you want to wrap them up tight and transport them you will want to use a glaze frosting that will dry and become hard. Truth be told- even when I take these little wonders to people on a plate with saran wrap over them a little frosting may come off in the unveiling but I've never had any complaints.

6 comments:

Staci said...

THANK YOU so much for letting me have some of these. They were (they are gone)FABULOUS. Thank for bringing me dinner. You are such a great friend. Staci Potter

Leah said...

Hooray. I'm off to make them. You're a peach.

Kym said...

I could just read your posts all day long. They are so entertaining! I too love cream cheese frosting, but I really love all frosting. AND Drake loves watching the front loaders too! But how do you get him to hold still and watch for 40 minutes? I really need to know the secret :)

mandmstrong said...

My mouth is watering, can't wait to try.

Mel said...

Carrie, I found your blog through Angie's. Your cookies were a success! Yea! I didn't do the cream cheese frosting though, I'll have to save that for next time. Thank you!

Bake Party of 6 said...

I wish I would have read your blog earlier! Abby had a cookie party Thursday and we decorated sugar cookies. I didn't like my frosting and yours sounds YUMMY. Thanks :)

Interested in a Session?

Please visit my website for Current Pricing!

Carrie Elton Photography